My art, like my life, carries the scars of a bloody war.
My art is direct and symbolic, and my desire to tell a story, the story of my homeland and my people is my passion.
I maintain a studio in Prishtina, Kosovo. I use the very same weapons from the war in Kosova to make my sculptures. I discovered them in factory where they were collected to be destroyed. These weapons have been made useless, and in a way, I have given them new life. What better way to openly demonstrate the war is over.
I was always fascinated by the Nouveau-Realists such as César Baldaccini and Jean Tinguely, as I always try to do something strange and unknown. For a long time I have collected different found objects and materials to make my sculptures, such as car parts or everyday objects from life. But weapons, for me, are the most powerful material. They are the only objects which speak concretely about the war and the violence.
With these weapons I can explain the reality of war in my Country. These are the actual weapons people fought with. Machine-guns, Kalashnikovs and knives that are made to take lives and destroy them.
Through the shape, line and volume I have tried to express the drama that we have experienced as a community in this part of the Balkans. My work represents the wounded soul of my homeland. From the very first moment, when I saw the weapons, I immediately felt strange and afraid. Weapons are fear, war, power and death. For a long time I had them in my studio before I could do anything. I would think to myself, what should I do with all of them. That is when I started to make my sculptures. An even though they are sculptures to the viewer, they still remain weapons to me.
Selected Solo Exhibition
- 1986 Studio Gallery Karas,Zagreb,Croatia
- 1987 Cite Internationale Des Arts,Paris,France
- 1987 Kosova Art Gallery Prishtina,Ks
- 1997 Leopold Hoesch Museum Duren,Germany
- 1998 Lutz Rohs Gallery Duren,Germany
- 1998 Aachener Kunsthaus Aachen,Germany
- 2005 National Gallery Skopje,Macedonia
- 2010 K12 Galerie Bregenz,A
- 2011 Outdoor exhibition Ministry of Educations Prishtina
- 2012 Kosova Art Gallery
Selected Group Exhibition
- 2006 V.International Biennial of Drawing Pilsen,Cz
- 2006 12.International Print & Drawing Biennial,Taiwan
- 2006 Vth Lessedra World Art Print Annual Sofia,B
- 2006 Vth International Triennial of Graphic art Bitola,Mk
- 2006 The Third International Drawing Competition Wroclaw,Pl
- 2006 Kosova Contenporary Art National Gallery Tirana, Al
- 2007 International Exhibition Visual Immortality Basel,Ch
- 2007 4th International Drawing Competition Melbourne,Au
- 2007 Fragile State Stockport Gallery Manchester,Uk
- 2007 International Small Print Brezllaw,Cz
- 2008 6th International Drawing Biennial Pilsem,Cz
- 2008 American Print Biennial,USA
- 2008 Intercontinental Biennial of small Graphics,R
- 2009 Balkandemokraci Kunstlerhause Bregenz,A
- 2009 Best Collection of Pilsen Biennial - Center Bavaria Bohemia Schoensee,D
- 2009 5th International Drawing Competition Melbourne, Australia
- 2009 VIth International Triennial of Graphic art Bitola,Mk
- 2010 Drittes Internationales Kunstler - Symposium Widnau Ch
- 2010 7th International Biennial of Drawing Pilsen CZ
- 2010 5th International Printmaking Biennial of Douro,Portugal
- 2011 6th International Drawing Competition Melbourne Australia
- 2011 Ansichten IX Quadrart -ART Dornbirn, A Ausstellende Künstler: Joseph Boyes,Alfred Hrdlicka, Franz West
- 2012 Art Revolution Taipei
- 2012 6th International Printmaking Biennial of Douro,Portugal
- 2012 5th International Drawing Competition Wroclaw, Pl
- 2004 First Prize Exhibition Kosova Art Asotiation Prishtina,Ks
- 2006 First Prize International Exhibition Muslim Mulliqi Prize Kosova Art Gallery Prishtina,Ks
- 2007 Grand Prix 4th International Drawing Competition Melbourne, Australia
- 2009 - Mention Honorable awardInternational Drawing Competition Melbourne,Australia ,
- 2011 Third Prize in 6th International Drawing Competition Melbourne,Australia ,
- 2012 Competiton Art Revolution Taipei The winner of Best in Show